Future Publishing’s noted UK game magazine Edge has revealed its picks for the top 100 best video games of all time, lifting up N64 classic The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time as the king of kings. The game was one of two Zelda titles in the top ten, with A Link to the Past ranking sixth on the chart.
Based on “thousands of votes” from the magazine’s readership, with input from industry professionals and Edge writers, nominating “hundreds of games, spanning across the last three decades,” the top ten games of all time, according to Edge, breaks down as follows:
1) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)
2) Resident Evil 4 (GameCube, PlayStation 2)
3) Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64)
4) Half-Life 2 (PC)
5) Super Mario World (Super Nintendo)
6) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Super Nintendo)
7) Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox)
8) Final Fantasy XII (PlayStation 2)
9) Tetris (Various)
10) Super Metroid (Super Nintendo)
The full rundown will be featured in a 260-page collector’s book entitled ‘Edge Presents: The 100 Best Videogames’, which will go on sale tomorrow. For those of you in the states, I’m sure you’ll be able to track down a copy at your local Barnes & Noble in a few weeks.
So, reactions? Is Ocarina of Time deserving of such praise?